Damage to yachts does occur even with a professional yacht crew let alone the rest of us! It is a part of life that damage can occur to a yacht, whether it is between two vessels at sea, a static object or internally.
Though a surveyor may be employed by an underwriter to undertake a survey of the damage it should be remembered that such a surveyor will act in the interest of the underwriter and not the owner. We will impartially assess the cause of any damage, the cost of repairs and give a view on the apportionment of liability and prospect of recovery, which can be used in the event of a dispute.
In summary, the yacht damage survey will include the following:
- Background to the incident and the claim
- Verification of the construction, principle dimensions and method of propulsion
- Detailed survey and findings including comments on the damage
- Additional information including any other parties that were present
- Summary, conclusion and recommendations as to a course of action
- Applicable limitations, photo log and supporting documentation, including repair estimates
- We can also supervise the repair and establish fair cost for the job